Requirements to apply for a Passport
1. Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
Applicant must fill both (a & b forms)
a. Download Application Here . (Print with any size paper and fill out in Nepali or English)
b. Download MRP Application Form Here. ( Duly filled in English and signed two original forms with the same information in the following specifications:
Paper size: 29.7 cm x 21 cm (A4 size). Printed area size: 27 cm x 18.5 cm (Length and Breadth).
Follow these instructions while printing the form
If you are unable to get the required paper and print the form as per instructions, you can send a Pre-paid return envelope of 9” x 12” size and tracking number to the below address requesting for form.
Embassy of Nepal, 2131 Leroy Place NW
Washington DC 20008
You can also submit the forms in person at the Embassy during the working days.
c. Current Passport: Submit your current passport along with a two copies of passport pages showing your personal particulars, amendments if any and the information of next of kin using the least pages.
Note: Copy of all pages is not required.
d. Original Citizenship Certificate: Submit your Original Citizenship Certificate along with a two copies showing information of both sides in a single page. If you do not have the original citizenship and submit the copy only (Nepali version), the Embassy has to verify the authenticity of the copy through the concerned District Administration Office in Nepal. In such situation, the processing of application in turn will take more time than normal processing time. Normally, it takes three months to process the MRP.
Note: Do not send the translated copy of Citizenship.
e. Three recent color photographs (quality) with such specifications: Border less, color, white background, eyes open, clearly visible ears, neutral expression of face, face coverage: 70% to 80% of photo area, no shadow on the face and on the background, size 35 mm x 45 mm or 2 in x 2 in).
Note: Please send photographs in a small plastic zip for safety with your name on the back. Be very careful about the ink, it can smudge if not let dry.
f. Money Order or Cashier Cheque: Money order or Cashier Cheque of US $150/- for each applicant (with at least one year’s validity) payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
2. Application for a new Machine Readable Passport (MRP) in case of accidental / willful damage and tampering of passport
a. All necessary documents mentioned above on section (1) except (1, e) of Machine Readable Passport (MRP).
b. Money Order or Cashier Cheque: Money order or Cashier Cheque of U.S. $ 300/- only with at least one year’s validity payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
3. Lost / Stolen Passport
A police report (incident report indicating the holder’s identity and particulars of the lost passport) is required. Name of the passport holder, lost passport number, issue and expiry date of lost passport must be mentioned in the police report. Police report with incomplete information will disqualify your application. Please request the Local Police Office to include the above mentioned information in the report.
a. Application: Lost Passport Application download Here .
b. Police Report: You must send a police report.
c. Machine Readable Passport (MRP) Application Form: Duly filled in application form. (See application form on above section (1 a) of Machine Readable Passport (MRP).
d. Lost Passport: A copy of the lost passport.
e. Original Citizenship Certificate: Original citizenship certificate. (See application form on above section (1 c) of Machine Readable Passport (MRP).
f. Money Order or Cashier Cheque: Money order or Cashier Cheque of US $ 300/- only with at least one year’s validity payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
Before processing the lost passport application, the Embassy will verify the documents that you have submitted, with the concerned authorities in Nepal, if it deems necessary. Processing of lost passport application always takes more than three months.
4. Machine Readable Passport (MRP) for Children
a. Passport: Current passport along with a two copies of passport pages showing your personal particulars, amendments if any and the information of next of kin using the least pages.
b. Minor Certificate: Original Nabalig Parichaya Patra or Birth Registration Certificate. (English translated copy is not acceptable).
c. Original Citizenship Certificate: Copy of Citizenship Certificate of Parents (Father and Mother).
d. Relationship Certificate: Copy of family Relationship Certificate. Upon submission of these documents, children above Sixteen years old will get MRP valid for two years only. Thereafter, it is mandatory to submit original Citizenship Certificate to get MRP with ten years validity.
e. In case the applicant is not able to submit the Nabalig Parichaya Patra, the Embassy, if deems necessary could verify the authenticity of the documents mentioned in (Machine Readable Passport (MRP) for Children) before processing the MRP application.
f. Marriage Certificate: Original or notarized copy of marriage certificate is required in case the applicant wishes to change or add the surname after marriage.
g. Nepali women married to foreigners but not having acquired foreign citizenship, must retain their Nepali surname even if they wish to include the surname of their spouse.
h. Money Order or Cashier Cheque: Money order or Cashier Cheque of US $150/- for each applicant (with at least one year’s validity) payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
i. Money Order or Cashier Cheque for Children under 10 years: Money order or Cashier Cheque of US $75/- for each applicant under 10 years of age (with at least one year’s validity) payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it. MRP is valid only for 5 years.
Note: Cash, Personal Cheque and Credit/Debit Card are not acceptable.
Submitted application will be returned back immediately, if we do not receive a complete documents mentioned above.
5. You are requested to verify all the information in the form as mentioned in the Passport Guidelines before sending or submitting to the Embassy, please note that the incomplete and invalid forms will be returned back to you for correction. You are responsible for all the postal / courier charges associated with the process.
6. Submission of forged documents and making false declaration relating to passport and citizenship certificate is a punishable offence. Action will be taken against such applicants as per the prevailing law.
7. You are required to submit or mail all the documents in a 9” x 12” size envelope with tracking number. An additional prepaid return envelope of 9” x 12” size with tracking number and address of the applicant must be included to send the MRP back to you once it is ready.
8. If you are sending more than one applications together, you are advised to enclose separate prepaid return envelope for each applicant. The Embassy will not be responsible for the loss and damage of any documents while Toing and Froing.
In order to apply through Live Enrollment system, please visit Live Enrollment
Important General Information
- According to ICAO provisions, all hand written passports will be invalid from November 24, 2015.Therefore, Nepalese citizens holding hand written passport are requested to apply for the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) anytime soon before the deadline. Please be informed that all hand written passports are not valid for travel effective from 24 November 2015 irrespective of the date of expiry mentioned in the passport.
- Embassy collects the applications and dispatches them in a group to the Department of Passport, Narayanhity, Kathmandu for further processing. Normally, it takes three months to receive the passports form Kathmandu. Please be informed that once your MRP is received by the Embassy, it will be dispatched/distributed to you after completing the official procedure.
- The field with asterisk (*) marks are mandatory. Any unfilled, wrong and incomplete field will lead your application to pending status and will not be processed by the Department of Passport, Kathmandu.
- Applicants, residing in Tri States (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) are requested to contact the Consulate General of Nepal, New York in the following address:
216 East 49th St. 4th Floor, New York, NY 10017 USA
Tel: 917 – 675 – 6783
For more information please Contact Us