Requirements to apply for a Passport
A. Machine Readable Passport
1. Application forms: Duly filled in and signed two original copies of the form in an A4 size paper (8.3 inch x 11.7 inch) with the following specifications:
Form size: 29.7cm x 21.1cm (A4 size)
Printed area size: 27cm x 18.5cm (Length and Breadth)
You must fill in and submit the two original forms with the same information. Please visit the link for application form (Passport Application Form) (Passport Guidelines )
If you are unable to print the form as per the above specifications,you can send a pre paid return envelope of 9'x12' size to the below address requesting for form.
Embassy of Nepal, 2131 Leroy Place NW
Washington DC 20008
You can also submit the forms in person at the Embassy during the working days.
2. Original Passport and Citizenship Certificate : You should submit your current passport and citizenship certificate along with two set copies of both. If you do not have the original citizenship and submit the copy of citizenship (nepali version), the Embassy has to verify the authenticity of the copy of citizenship through the concerned District Administration Office in Nepal. In such situation, the processing of application in turn will take more time than normal processing time. Normally, it takes three months to process the MRP. Please do not send the translated copy of Citizenship for MRP application.
Note: You are advised to send the copies of passport pages showing your personal particulars, amendments if any and the information of next of kin using the least pages possible. Copy of all pages is not required. Also send the copy of citizenship showing the information of both sides in a single page.
3. Three recent color photographs (quality) with such specifications: Borderless, color, white background, eyes open, clearly visible ears, neutral expression of face, face coverage: 70% to 80% of photo area, no shadow on the face and on the background, size 35 mm x 45 mm or 2in x 2in). Please visit this link also: http://www.nepalembassyusa.org/images/mrp_english_form.pdf
Note: Please send the photographs in a small plastic zip for safety with your name on the back.
4. You should send separate money order of US$ 150/- for each applicant(with at least one year’s validity) payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name of the applicant written on it (cash/ personal checks and credit card are not entertained). In case of accidental/willful damage and tampering of passport, the applicant is required to send a money order of $300/- along with the documents mentioned
5. In case of the lost/stolen passport, a police report (incident report indicating the holder’s identity and particulars of the lost passport) is required. The name of the passport holder, lost passport number, issue and expiry date of lost passport must be mentioned in the police report. Police report with incomplete information will disqualify your application.Please request the local police Office to include the above mentioned information in the report. Such police report along with the duly filled in application form, original citizenship certificate, a copy of the lost passport and a money order of Us $ 300 payable to the Embassy of Nepal, should be submitted to the Embassy. Before processing the lost passport application, the Embassy will verify the documents from the concerned authorities in Nepal, if it deems necessary. Therefore, the processing of lost passport application always takes more than three months.
6. You are required to mail all the documents in a 9'x12' size envelope with tracking number. An additional prepaid return envelope of 9”x12” size with tracking number and address of the applicant must be included to send the MRP back to you once it is ready. If you are sending more than one applications together, you are advised to enclose separate prepaid return envelop for each applicant.The Embassy will not be responsible for the loss and damage of any documents while toing and froing them. The mailing address of the Embassy is; 2131 Leroy Place, NW, Washington DC 20008.
7. Children of Nepalese Citizens are required to submit the following documents to get MRP.
I. Original Passport, II. Nabalig Parichaya Patra or Birth Certificate, III. Copy of Citizenship Certificate of Parents, IV. Relationship Certificate
Upon submission of these documents, children above Sixteen years old will get MRP valid for two years only. Thereafter, it is mandatory to submit original Citizenship Certificate to get MRP with ten years validity.
7(a) In case the applicant is not able to submit the Nabalig Parichaya Patra, the Embassy if deems necessary, could verify the authenticity of the documents mentioned in No. 7 before processing the MRP application.
8. Original or notarized copy of marriage certificate is required in case the applicant wishes to change or add the surname after marriage.
9. Nepalese women married to foreigners but not having acquired foreign citizenship, must retain their Nepali surname even if they wish to include the surname of their spouse.
10. You are requested to verify all the information in the form as mentioned in the Passport Guidelines below before sending them to the Embassy. Please note that the incomplete and invalid forms will be returned back to you for correction. You are responsible for all the postal/courier charges associated with the process. Please visit the below links thoroughly to avoid any mistake and returning of the documents.
a. Documents requirements and information on how to fill in the form (Passport Guidelines )
b. Photo and form requirements (http://www.nepalembassyusa.org/images/mrp_english_form.pdf)
c. Correctly filled in application form (http://www.dopmofa.gov.np/mrp/page10.php)
11. Submission of forged documents and making false declaration relating to passport and citizenship certificate is a punishable offence. Action will be taken against such applicants as per the prevailing law.
B. Temporary Passport
Temporary Passport with one year validity will be issued to the applicant who has duly applied for Machine Readable Passport and urgently needs to travel outside the USA during the processing of Machine Readable Passport. You should request the Embassy in writing with the genuine and self-explanatory reason to issue the temporary passport. The documents required for temporary passport are:- a request letter, a separate money order of $20/-, an additional return envelope and two photographs. Once the new Passport (MRP) is ready, you are required to send the temporary passport back to the Embassy for cancelation.
C. Travel Document
Nepalese citizens, who are unable to submit the required documents, are advised to apply for Travel Document. The Travel Document is valid for one way travel to Nepal only. You can apply for New Passport in Nepal.
The applicants are required to submit a duly filled in application form, copy of passport and citizenship/Nabalak Parichaya Patra/ birth certificate, two recent color photo, a letter requesting for travel document, a money order of $ 40/- and a return envelope to send back the travel document.
D. Important General Information
1. According to ICAO provisions, all handwritten passports will be invalid from November 24, 2015. Therefore, Nepalese citizens holding handwritten passport are requested to apply for the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) anytime soon before the deadline. Please be informed that all handwritten passports are null and void from 24 November 2015 onward irrespective of the date of expiry mentioned in the passport.
2. Embassy collects the applications and dispatches them in a group to the Department of Passport, Narayanhity, Kathmandu for further processing. Normally, it takes three months to receive the passports form Kathmandu. Please be informed that once your MRP is received by the Embassy, it will be dispatched/distributed to you after completing the official procedure.
3. The field with asterisk (*) marks are mandatory. Any unfilled, wrong and incomplete field will lead your application to pending status and will not be processed by the Department of Passport, Kathmandu.
4. Applicants, residing in Tri States(New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) are requested to contact the Consulate General of Nepal, New York in the following address: 820 Second Avenue, Suite 17B New York, NY 10017 USA, Tel: 212 370 3988/370 3989/ 370 3732, Fax: 212 953 2038, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you need further information, please write to us at: email@example.com or call us at 202-667-4550/51/52 during office hours.