Machine Readable Passport (MRP) for Lost / Stolen
Before submitting your application through mail or drop off, you must first submit your details Here and continue below for the application.
We will return back your application if we do not receive your details.
Applicant must fill both (a & b forms)
a. Application: Lost Passport Application download Here . (Print with any size paper and fill out in Nepali or English)
b. Download MRP Application Form Here. ( Duly filled in English and signed two original forms with the same information in the following specifications:
Paper size: 29.7 cm x 21 cm (A4 size). Printed area size: 27 cm x 18.5 cm (Length and Breadth).
Follow these instructions while printing the form
If you are unable to get the required paper and print the form as per instructions, you can send a Pre-paid return envelope of 9” x 12” size and tracking number to the below address requesting for form.
Embassy of Nepal, 2131 Leroy Place NW
Washington DC 20008
You can also submit the forms in person at the Embassy during the working days.
c. Police Report: A police report (incident report indicating the holder’s identity and particulars of the lost passport) is required. Name of the passport holder, lost passport number, issue and expiry date of lost passport must be mentioned in the police report. Police report with incomplete information will disqualify your application. Please request the Local Police Office to include the above mentioned information in the report.
d. A copy of a lost passport.
e. Original Citizenship Certificate: Submit your Original Citizenship Certificate along with a two copies showing information of both sides in a single page. If you do not have the original citizenship and submit the copy only (Nepali version), the Embassy has to verify the authenticity of the copy through the concerned District Administration Office in Nepal. In such situation, the processing of application in turn will take more time than normal processing time. Normally, it takes three months to process the MRP.
Note: Do not send the translated copy of Citizenship.
f. Three recent color photographs with below specifications:
- 2 x 2 inch
- Eyes open
- White background with no shadow
- No shadow on face
- Border less
- Clearly visible both ears
- Neutral expression
- No glass
- No teeth shown up
- No ornaments
- Face coverage: 70% to 80% of photo area of .
Note: Please send photographs in a small envelope for safety with your name on it.
g. Money Order or Cashier Cheque: Money order or Cashier Cheque of US $ 300/- only with at least one year’s validity payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the name and address of the applicant written on it.
Before processing the lost passport application, the Embassy will verify the documents that you have submitted, with the concerned authorities in Nepal, if it deems necessary. Processing of lost passport application always takes more than three months.
h. Pre-Paid Return Envelope: You are required to submit or mail all the documents in a 9” x 12” size envelope with tracking number. An additional prepaid return envelope of 9” x 12” size with tracking number and address of the applicant must be included to send the MRP back to you once it is ready.
Cash, Personal Cheque and Credit/Debit Card are not acceptable.
Note: Submitted application will be returned back immediately, if we do not receive a complete documents.
Important General Information
- According to ICAO provisions, all hand written passports will be invalid from November 24, 2015.Therefore, Nepalese citizens holding hand written passport are requested to apply for the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) anytime soon before the deadline. Please be informed that all hand written passports are not valid for travel effective from 24 November 2015 irrespective of the date of expiry mentioned in the passport.
- Embassy collects the applications and dispatches them in a group to the Department of Passport, Narayanhity, Kathmandu for further processing. Normally, it takes three months to receive the passports form Kathmandu. Please be informed that once your MRP is received by the Embassy, it will be dispatched/distributed to you after completing the official procedure.
- The field with asterisk (*) marks are mandatory. Any unfilled, wrong and incomplete field will lead your application to pending status and will not be processed by the Department of Passport, Kathmandu.
- Applicants, residing in Tri States (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) are requested to contact the Consulate General of Nepal, New York in the following address:
216 East 49th St. 4th Floor, New York, NY 10017 USA
Tel: 917 – 675 – 6783
For more information please Contact Us